In 1867, the founder James Troop commenced operations in modest premises on the dock estate in Liverpool. He was a Master Brassfounder and Coppersmith and called his business “COBURG COPPER WORKS”. The business thrived and in the mid 1890’s he relocated to larger premises in Pleasant Hill Street, Liverpool and started trading as James Troop & Company.
He died in 1907 and was succeeded by his grandson James Hubert Troop, who held the position of Chairman in the newly formed Company until his death in 1954. He was a well-known personality in local sporting circles, particularly golf and he was also a Director of Liverpool Football Club from 1923 to 1954.
William McNish Inglis was in the Chair until 1972.
Mr. John Troop took over in 1972 until 2002 when he handed over the Chairmanship to Bob Troop, who has worked for the Company since 1963.
The Company were ship repairers for many years, with workshops in Liverpool, Birkenhead and Garston, working for most major Shipping Companies and worked extensively for the MoD on Aircraft Carriers and many other types of ship, Including Nuclear Submarines built at Cammell Laird Shipyard.
In the fifties, the Company began diversification into Medium and High Speed Diesel Engine markets, initially through franchises with such as Rolls-Royce, Ruston, Paxman, Dorman & Perkins and these have since been joined by Volvo Penta, Deutz, MAN, MTU, Cummins, and one of the largest Japanese engine builders, Daihatsu Diesel Mfg.
The Company trades on a world-wide basis, not only in sending its engineers overseas on ships, offshore and land based engine service, overhaul, complete Power Station equipment refurbishment or Turn Key Installations and then operation and maintenance but also dispatching spare parts to all areas of the globe.
Although proud of its Liverpool heritage and the Company policy of dealing with suppliers in the Merseyside area where possible, in 2004 in order to expand the Company operations once again, we moved to new premises on the Astmoor Industrial Estate in Runcorn, Cheshire.
The Runcorn site has fully equipped workshop facilities to carry out all aspects of engine and component overhauls, including testing and also deals in new engine sales, spare parts supply, and After Sales Service 24/7.
The Company is ISO 9001:2008 accredited , to enable and support its engineering activities in Mechanical and Electrical Contracting, Renewable Energy power generation equipment supply, installation and operation, Wind Power service boat maintenance, Power Station equipment refurbishment, engine overhauls and CHP plant operation and maintenance including 24/7 remote monitoring of CHP units.